Ayyám-i-há is just around the corner, so I thought it would be a good time to look back at last year and share some of the things we did in preparation for Ayyám-i-há and in celebration of it. For those who are new to my blog - as Bahá’ís we don’t celebrate Christmas, but we do celebrate Ayyám-i-há. This is the Bahá’í period of celebration with family and friends, a focus on charity and service projects, and gift giving. It is held on the last three days of February and the first day of March.
So here is a round up of some of our Ayyám-i-há projects and celebrations:
- Our Ayyam-i-ha advent calendar.
- Making cards to send to family and friends.
- Our Ayyám-i-há banner.
- Our virtue tree.
- Hanging flower ornaments that we used for decorations.
- Our handmade gift giving day tradition: handmade book and money box, Rylan’s nesting doll set made for Damian, my gifts for the boys – tool belts and mini dino puppets.
- We made Ayyám-i-há cookies together.
- The boys chose some of their own toys to give away to a family in need.
- One day of Ayyám-i-há is treasure hunt day, the hidden treasure are the boy’s presents for that day. For Rylan the clues are written, for Damian we use pictures.
Since we will keep our spring theme for Ayyám-i-há this year (after all we need some color to brighten up this LONG, white winter we are in!) we may revisit making our pipe-cleaner leis and paper flowers as fun crafts to do in preparation.
I have pulled my Ayyám-i-há box out of storage and am getting things ready to go up soon. But right now I am thinking about what to fill our advent calendar with….hmm…what special things are you planning for Ayyám-i-há?