Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Making pipe cleaner leis

Alright, I don't know if you've noticed but we haven't been doing a whole lot of school...I know, I know, I said we were going to keep going (at a slower pace) through the summer, but the summer bug has caught us, and we are enjoying being out and with friends so much not a whole lot of school work has been going on. We have been reading stacks of books, which to me is as good as school, but we haven't spent much time doing any planned learning. We are doing more crafting, though, which the boys and I are loving because we had gotten so busy with various lessons and sports outside of the home, there wasn't much time to get the playdoh and paints out. So, it is nice to find a slower pace and enjoy being creative again.

Last week we tried a little twist on the traditional flower leis, and made them out of pipe cleaner flowers. We made these to send to certain grandparents who we are trying to entice to take a Hawaiian vacation SOONer rather than later! ;) But I think they would be great for parties with a Hawaiian or spring theme. They are very easy (and a little addictive, I might add) to make. There is a little tutorial below...
You start by making a loop - loop one end of the pipe cleaner over and twist a couple of times to secure.
Make another loop opposite the first and twist to secure.
Repeat for a third petal.
And again for a fourth petal, take the end that is left over and loop tightly around the centre of the flower to make sure the whole thing is secure.
Start your next flower by looping it with the previous one. Keep going until it is as long as you want it to be. Then loop the last flower into the first one as you make the final petal of the last flower (how is that for a confusing sentence??).
And you have a pipe cleaner lei. I think these would also make cute decorations if you make strings of them and hang them (kind of like you would a streamer or banner). Also notice we made a pattern activity out of it, repeating the same sequence of color throughout the lei. See the learning is still going on! ;)

This has been added to: Kiddos Create, Preschool Corner, and Craft Schooling Sunday

10 comments:

  1. just beautiful and colorful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy, they were fun to make. I am sure Leah would love to make them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute,and fun activity! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you again, I was just talking about you, and here you are! We were on the beach in Haifa Saturday night and my sis in law pointed to the Bahai Gardens, and I mentioned you! Love the leis and hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sara! We have just been so busy, not a lot of crafting lately, but I am hoping the summer break will allow for more of that...oh, I would love to be Haifa right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too cute! My daughter would love making this!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails