Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Montessori inspired workboxes

I love Montessori activities, and frequently include them in the boy's learning time. Here are a few examples of how I have added them into our workbox routine.

Whenever I have filled a workbox with a Montessori inspired activity, I put our learning tray on top of the workboxes, so it is easy for us to take the items out of the drawer and put them straight onto the tray (Montessori activities are generally done on a tray or similar surface to contain the activity and create a defined work space for each child). I follow the normal process of a Montessori activity, first I demonstrate the activity by completing it myself (i.e. modelling) and then allow my boys (whoever is doing it, sometimes both of them) to repeat the task, usually several times, as long as they are enjoying it and still interested.Beginner pouring for Damian - pouring beads. Normally I would use dried beans, but I didn't have any on hand at the time, so he tried these and they worked pretty well.
Followed by rice pouring.
Transferring activity - transfer rice from one bowl to the other using only the spoon. This is excellent for the development of fine motor coordination.
Pegging activity. First peg around the block, then around the paper.
Threading beads.
Transfer activity using tongs.
And lastly, sandpaper letters.
There are so many more you could add to workboxes, this is just a few that we have done recently.
You can find this and more workbox ideas at: What's in the box Wednesday and Wednesday Workbox Day.

8 comments:

  1. Cool, thanks for linking up, your boxes look like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love putting the beads to use; I have so many unused one, lol. =)
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to use Montessori activities in a homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are some great ideas. I bet my two tots would enjoy them. Guess what we'll be doing next week...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Montessori is near and dear to my heart. I love this way of working it into the home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much. i really hope to use all of those ideas in our homeschooling. and great blog, too.

    the sleepy time gal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love incorporating montessori. great ideas!

    -CK

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had a place to keep something like this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails