Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fun math game for reinforcing addition and subtraction

I recently put together this math game for Rylan and I to play, which for now we are using to practice addition and subtraction, but eventually I will add multiplication as we continue to move through the math curriculum. The game was a big success, Rylan had a lot of fun! We were still playing when Damian woke up and he wanted to play too, so I think I will have to make a preschooler version of the game for him as well.

So, here are the details of the game: IMG_7094

Firstly I made these cards, which I actually copied out of the Singapore Math Books, but they are easy enough to make yourself. I colored the even numbers blue (Damian’s favorite color) and the odd numbers orange (Rylan’s favorite) and the equation signs are all yellow/green. Once colored, I stuck the paper onto cardboard using a lot of glue to make sure they would stick well, then laminated them before cutting them out into card shapes. I made several sets of the numbers from 0-10 and a mix of actual numbers and written numbers, just to add another dimension to the learning.

IMG_7097

IMG_7096

So now that we have a deck of number cards, how to play? This is what we did: I laid all the equation signs (+, –, =) in between us, then gave each of us 3 cards to start with and put the rest of the cards upside down in a pile between us. The goal of the game is to make as many equations as possible using the cards you pick up. So, you start with 3, if you cannot make an equation with your starting cards, you pick up one, and so one taking turns until you can make an equation. Once you make an equation, you put the cards you used aside, and carry on with what is left over. The winner is the person who has the most cards set aside (from making equations) when the deck runs out. If there were cards left over in our hands, we subtracted the same amount from our equation pile (I hope this is making sense to you all!).

We started by doing basic addition and subtraction.

IMG_7094

Then we moved onto three number addition and/or subtraction equations (we started with 4 cards for these games).

IMG_7118 IMG_7119

Then we moved on to two sided addition and subtraction equations.

IMG_7117

When we ended the game after many rounds, Rylan told me he was looking forward to playing again soon!

This has been added to: Show & Tell

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Can't wait to do this with my son. Thanks for the idea! Following from ABC and 123.

    http://canyoucomeoutsidetoplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like! Hope it is a hit in your home too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Great post! Would you mind telling where to buy the Singapore textbook or the name of the textbook that you bought please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kami, please ignore my earlier request, as I found the link to Singapore Maths from your other post. By the way, I am a Singaporean :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails