Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Preschool fun: a review of our letter “D” week

For anyone who follows this blog closely, you will know that dinosaurs are pretty popular in this house! So our D for dinosaur week actually rolled over into two weeks, because we had so many fun activities to do! Many of them Rylan joined in on too. Here’s a round-up:



  • We started the week by singing a funny dinosaur version of the hokey pokey we called the dino hokey. Instead of arms and legs we used claws, teeth, tails, and yes, lots of roaring. The boys loved it! And asked to do it several times over during the week…since I was fasting at the time all the roaring gave me a seriously dry, sore throat…ahhh, the things we do for our kids, right? :)

  • We practiced the phonetic sound of D using the items from our alphabet box while singing the song from Leap Frog’s Letter Factory DVD for the letter D. IMG_7054 [800x600]

  • I put together this dinosaur sensory tub for the boys to play with, using rice as a base. I have done this for them before using sand, but this time there was a lot more in the tub to play with. This sensory tub has received hours of play time during the past two weeks. IMG_7045 [800x600]

  • Damian completed this “D is for Damian” collage by filling in the letters using a glue stick and tissue paper squares. IMG_7055 [800x600]

  • We made the letter D using our haba peg board. IMG_7035 [800x600]

  • We used our foam letter pieces to build D and our sandpaper letters to practice “writing” little d. IMG_7030 [800x600]

  • I asked Damian to identify all the Ds on the white board using our magnetic letter set. IMG_7033 [800x600]

  • We played letter match up and concentration using the dinosaur alphabet cards I made when Rylan was a wee one. IMG_7042 [800x600]

  • Damian completed many of the activities provided by Confessions of a Homeschooler’s “D is for dinosaur” week. IMG_7049 [800x600]

~using counters to make the numbers and a pointer to count them all~ IMG_7126~lacing~ IMG_7041 [800x600]~matching numbers with amounts~ IMG_7029 [800x600] ~size ordering, completing patterns, sorting big and little Ds~



  • The boys painted the dinosaurs from this Melissa and Doug paint your own dinosaur set. IMG_7072 [800x600]

  • The boys decorated these dinosaur cut-outs. IMG_7086 [800x600]

  • They also colored in do-it-yourself dinosaur stickers and then used them for other art work projects.

  • We made perler bead dinosaurs. IMG_7043 [800x600]

  • We did this cute craft using the letter D for form a dino, which I found on Homeschool Creations. IMG_7075 [800x600]

  • Damian completed this Melissa and Doug dinosaur puzzle.

  • We made playdoh Ds using the playdoh letter mats I made from Homeschool Creations. IMG_7052 [800x600]

  • We sang this song: I'm a Mean Old Dinosaur (Tune: I'm a little Tea Pot)

    I'm a mean old Dinosaur (Make a mean face, the kids make the cutest mean faces) Big and Tall (Gesture hands big and tall ) Here is my tail, here is my claw. (Gesture hands behind your back for tail and make claw hands) When I get all hungry (rub your tummy) I just growl (have the kids exaggerate the grrroooowwwlll) Look out kids I'm on the prowl. (Here I tickle each one of the tummy and they all giggle)


  • I recited this rhyme for Damian and had him do the finger math along with me: Five enormous dinosaurs Letting out a roar-- One went away, and Then there were four. Four enormous dinosaurs Crashing down a tree-- One went away, and Then there were three. Three enormous dinosaurs Eating tiger stew-- One went away, and Then there were two. Two enormous dinosaurs Trying to run-- One ran away, and then there was one. One enormous dinosaur, Afraid to be a hero-- He went away, and Then there was zero.

As you can see it was a fun filled dino week (and a bit)!


This has been added to: Preschool Corner & 5K too and Show&Tell.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I LOVE the dinosaur song :) I hope I can remember it when we learn about dinosaurs! Your kids decorated dinos are so cute, and I really like how you repurposed the dino cards with the counters. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic ideas!

    Love the dino hokey!

    Kami, I am not sure if you have a Michael's near you but they have some pretty cool wooden dinosaurs in their dollar aisle right now.

    Have a good weekend!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri - yes, I do have a Michael's nearby and I actually got some wooden dinos for the boys from the dollar section and forgot to do them last week!! :) Haha! Thanks for reminding me about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I love when you find something that the child is completely interested in and they are so engaged! I really like the song! Stopping by from Preschool Corner. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails