Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Jump to spell words game (and letter and phonics recognition for my preschooler too!)

Since my math jumping game was such a hit around this house, I decided to use the same concept in our spelling practice time. I lay out floor letters for the entire alphabet (printed the letters from here), then give Rylan a word or phrase and he spells it out by jumping on the letters to form the word(s). If it is a phrase instead of a single word, as he switches from one word to the next he shouts out “new word”, if the word he is spelling is a proper noun, he shouts out “capital” as he jumps on the first letter of the name. When we use jump to spell for spelling practice, the comment at the end is usually, “Can we do some more spelling, pleeease?”. Got to love that! :)

IMG_7208 [800x600]

Of course, not to be left out, Damian wanted in on the action, so he gets to do his own form of letter hopping to practice letter recognition (I call out the letter and he jumps on it) and phonics (I make the sounds of the letter and he jumps on the matching letter). All in all definitely a popular exercise in our home!

Now that it is warmer out, I think we will take this lesson outdoors too. I will have Rylan write out the alphabet in sidewalk chalk and then the jump spelling will begin!



This has been added to: Preschool Corner & 5K too! and Show and Tell

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to work some exercise into a learning activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddos would love this. It would make a great tie in to the Easter holiday to "hop like a bunny," too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I tried to find the link where you printed the abc pages from but it said invalid. Would you mind reposting? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails