Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hand painted Russian (Babushka) Nesting Dolls

Rylan's handmade gift for his little brother was a set of hand painted Russian or Babushka nesting dolls. We found a raw wood set at our local florist, and thought it would be a great gift for Damian. Rylan decided to do each one a solid colour, since Damian is very interested in labelling colours right now, blue being his favourite, so he made the biggest one that colour. We just used washable kids paint.
After the paint had dried I gave him a black permanent marker, so he could draw people on the nesting set. He wanted to draw our family, so Daddy is the biggest, next is me, next is his big sister (umm...Rylan has wanted a big sister for the last year or so), next is Rylan, and the littlest one is Damian, of course.
When I get a chance I think I will spray on a lacquer finish.

This has been added to: Craft Schooling Sunday and Strut-Your-Stuff Thursday.

17 comments:

  1. I know I just commented on the last post but just cant help commenting on this one - these are the CUTEST dolls and I bet Damian will love and cherish them!! So cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my LORD so precious! I love them (especially the big sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is about the cutest thing i've ever seen!

    i just found your blog off a link on a friend's blog-- and so glad i did, just in time for ayyam-i-ha!

    happy ayyam-i-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all, on behalf of the little artist Rylan! I think they are pretty cute too! I cannot wait to see Rylan give them to Damian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put links to your blog on my blog and i'm from north carolina...??? :-)

    Cant wait to know how the gift giving went!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Lovely, lovely job Rylan. (And mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kami, that is just the cutest! Thanks so much for visiting Craft schooling Sunday and hope to see you again next week! I'm going to try and feature this as well. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This are really great, what a fun craft!

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. just wanted to let you know that i loved this project so much that i scoured all of albuquerque's craft stores so we can replicate it! everytime i see your pics, they make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so sweet, Carolina! Thank you for your kind words, you made me smile! :) Hope you found some nesting dolls to use!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm so glad i found your blog-- so many good ideas! AND i just realized by going though some old posts that my husband patrik (cameroon) worked in the gardens with your husband from 03-05... please send him greetings! i made the connection when i saw a photo of the back of your husband's head and thought... that looks familiar... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, my husband remembers Patrick! He says to please send him love!

    So glad you like the blog! Means a lot to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are adorable! I love kid's painting. Thanks for linking up! I've featured your link in this week's top 10 post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails