Monday, February 22, 2010

Virtue Tree: our year of virtue learning in review

This is probably my favourite Ayyám-i- activity we have done this year. I have been wanting to share it with you all for a while, but I wanted all the leaves to be on it before photographing it, and we have been reviewing and building up to that point. You will recall from this post that character development is one of the core reasons that we have chosen homeschooling, and this post explains some of the ways in which we are encouraging character or virtue development in our children. This tree has been a fun way to look back at our learning and add to our spring inspired decorations. It was my intention for this tree to be a yearly event leading up to Ayyám-i- , but my boys love this tree so much that I am considering putting it up in their bedroom after our celebrations, and adding more to it to create a whole wall scene for them.
We made the tree entirely out of felt. The tree was cut out of 3 yards of brown felt. The leaves were cut out of three different shades of green. I printed the virtues out on green card stock and glued them onto the leaves. Rylan said it wouldn't be a proper tree without a bird's nest, so we added that...I haven't had time to add mama bird yet! And at the end the boys added 3D butterfly and dragonfly stickers (since I took the photo they put a couple more on the trunk as well).


To see our other Ayyám-i- activities and decorations look here, here, and here, all of which can be used for different types of celebrations. More to come in the next few days!

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely decoration, I wouldnt want to take it down either!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails