Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Jumping math

I have two active boys who love to move. While I believe it is important for them to learn to sit still and have quiet working time, I also think it is important to bring fun movement into school time, especially with subjects its not expected.

Last week we did an addition review, to make sure all the number bonds under 10 were still clear in Rylan’s memory, and part of the review was “jumping math”. I used the large floor numbers from Letter A is for apple on Confessions of a Homeschooler (I had already printed them for Damian’s letter A week), laid them across the floor of the school room and had Rylan jump his addition. For example if I said 6 + 4 =, he would start on “6” and jump 4 numbers to land on his answer “10”. By the end we had practiced our number bonds, and he was breathless and laughing. Mission accomplished!

IMG_6911 [800x600]

This has been added to: Preschool Corner and 5K too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails