Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Learning to count by 5s and 10s and other math goodies (printable)

We are working on counting by 5s and 10s right now. We started with using manipulatives, and then we used these great skip counting charts created by Homeschool Creations. We also sang the numbers to a little tune that Rylan made up. As a written activity I created these "complete the sequence" skip counting worksheets to stick in his workboxes this week. Since I made them, I thought I'd share them! You can download the counting by 5s here.
And the counting by 10s here.
Although we are using a set math curriculum (Math-U-See) and we do more formal math learning as above, I would also like my boys to learn math in a more natural way. To this end they play a LOT with Lego (and need no encouragement!), they bake with me in the kitchen, I ask Rylan to help me calculate prices in the store, we play board games, and so on and so forth. I want them to see math being used in real life, not just in text books. A great resource for this is the Living Math site. Another important element, for us, since my boys are real book lovers, is to read books that contain mathematical concepts within the story, so you can imagine my sheer delight when I came across this list and this post with a very comprehensive list of living math books (note: these two lists do contain some of the same books).
Library here we come! As if we needed encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails