Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Making a bag from a kiddies t-shirt

I saw this idea in a Disney Family Fun magazine about 6 or 7 months ago, maybe more than that, and it has been on my "to do" list since then! Yes, my list is long, so it takes a while! :) I actually put aside the t-shirt when I first saw the article, because it was one of Rylan's favorites (dinosaurs, of course) and it was getting too small for him, and too worn out to save for Damian. So, I thought giving it a second life as something else would be perfect. I started the project, and there it sat with pins, waiting to be hemmed up for many, many months. Well, when Rylan started piano lessons, he needed a bag for his lesson books, so I finally had a reason to go down to the sewing machine and finish it off! And here it is...
Super easy project: step 1: take a t-shirt, cut off the neck edging, the sleeves and the hem on the bottom.
Step 2 (hopefully your step 2 won't happen 6 months later ;) ): turn inside out and sew bottom pieces together to form the base of the bag (I used a heavy duty stitch to make that seam stronger). Then fold over, pin, and hem the remaining cut edges to give it a finished look, and your done!
A t-shirt gets a second life and you get a new bag. These are great for reusable shopping bags too.

This has been added to: Show and Tell and Kiddos Create

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to reuse a favorite shirt! Thanks for sharing!

    -Kara
    http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I can see having my boys make a library book bag from an old t-shirt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Just found your blog... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Glad you like it - I love easy projects that produce something useful from repurposed materials! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Love it! Love it! I saw the very same idea in the Family Fun magazine. We have had our shirts picked out for months, but just haven't made our bags yet. You have inspired me! We gotta make our t-shirt bags too! :-)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails