Friday, March 19, 2010

Getting ready for the Bahá’í New Year

Sunday (21 March) marks the Bahá’í New Year. We are having a bunch of people over for a big breakfast on Sunday to celebrate, so the kids and I decided to put together a few fun decorations for the occasion. First we made a banner. This time I did not make a fabric banner, just a simple paper one. It took us about 20 minutes from start to hanging it up. I simply cut triangles out of some heavy paper then we coloured the letters in.
To put it together, I used a one hole punch to make two holes, and strung the triangles together with some yarn.

Then we made paper flowers for a table bouquet. These are so easy, Rylan made several by himself, and Damian managed with a little help from Mom.

My Mom taught me how to make these when I was little...we took them to a retirement home in our area during Ayyám-i-há. We would spend time with the people there, handing out the flowers, offering cake or cookies, chatting, just to brighten up their day. Making them with the boys today brought back those fond memories.


To make them you cut squares of tissue paper (this one in the picture is about 7x7 inches), lay them on top of each other (about 5-7 pieces) and then fold them accordion style.

Once completely folded, you wrap a pipe cleaner tightly around the centre of the paper to hold it in place, leaving enough of the pipe cleaner to work as a stem as well. Then you carefully open up each layer of paper until it forms a nice carnation style flower. If you want, you can even dip the edges in a little glue and then glitter, to add sparkle to the petals.

To all my Bahá’í readers, wishing you a very festive New Year!!! And a wonderful weekend to you all! See you Monday! :)

4 comments:

  1. Happy Naw-Ruz!
    Back in Romania my best friend used to take me to the New Year celebrations...and i loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Naw-Ruz to you and your family.
    As usual the decorations looks beautiful!
    Enjoy your big breakfast.
    love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ramona and Nancy! Hope you both have a wonderful weekend too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm linking to your blog this week as you were inspiration to me making a Birthday Banner for my family! Thanks for sharing all your fun ideas!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails