Monday, January 17, 2011

Learning about children around the world

We took things slowly this past week, to ease ourselves back into the school day rhythm. I planned some themed activities, that both my boys could comfortably participate in together. We dedicated the greater part of one day to learning about children around the world. With a focus on our similarities, despite outward differences – unity in diversity.

We read several books, spread out in-between the different activities I had lined up for the boys on the theme. Here is our book list for the day:


In addition to the books, we put together this Melissa and Doug “Children of the World” puzzle. IMG_6774

We made paper people, the idea for which I got from Counting Coconuts. You could also make a paper doll chain and color them to look international.

IMG_6775 [800x600] IMG_6780 [800x600]

While we worked we listened to a mix of international music with our Putumayo world music.

The boys completed a worksheet from The Baha’i Children’s Workbook about the oneness of humanity.

IMG_6808 [800x600]Then I pulled out a set of international play figures that I had purchased at the Lakeshore Learning Centre. The boys loved this set. After we discussed where the different children came from, and used them for a couple of formal activities, they took them all downstairs to the play room, built a city for them out of blocks and played together for a couple of hours. IMG_6779 [800x600]

This has been added to Preschool Corner & 5K too.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you're back!
    Missed you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, it is good to be back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you are back too! Great activities. I will need to check out the set at Lakeshore. Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paper people is a great idea. My kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri - the international people set is really great, my boys are still playing with them everyday.

    Libby - I am sure they would love it! Do you have a laminator? If not, bring them over and we can laminate them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the people and the puzzles. Good stuff! We love learning about children all around the world, too, in our geography studies!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails