Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mama inspiration

"While they are at your side, love these little ones to the utmost. Forget yourself; serve them; care for them; lavish all your tenderness upon them. Value your good fortune while it is with you and let nothing of their babyhood go unprized. Not for long will you keep the happiness that now lies in your reach. You will not always walk in the sunshine with a little soft hand nestling in each of yours, nor hear little feet pattering beside you and eager baby voices questioning and pattering of a thousand things with ceaseless excitement. Not always will you see that trusting face upturned to yours, feel those little arms about your neck and those tender lips pressed upon your cheek nor will you have that tiny form to kneel beside you, and murmur baby prayers into your ear. Love them and win their love and shower on them all the treasures of your heart. Fill up their days with happiness and share with them their mirth and innocent delights. Ere you are aware it will be gone with all its gifts forever."

- George Townshend

13 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I haven't heard that before. I'm going to share it with my friends.

    Your blog is so nice and inspiring. I look forward to reading more.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this either, how precious!!! thanks so much for sharing... it's a great reminder of how we should really appreciate these times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kami,
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful quotation from 'Abdu'l-Baha. I have never read this part too ...
    beautiful, thanks again

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, thank you so much for your kind words! I am glad you enjoy your visits here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this quote is a favorite of mine. A friend sent it to me shortly after I had Rylan, and I make a point of going back to it and reading it again periodically, because it helps to keep me focused on being in the present with my children, loving them to my utmost, and making the most of these years. This is especially present in my mind because my siblings are much older than me, and I have watched them as their kids have moved out to go to college, and how much they long to have those early years back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so inspiring!! What a beautiful quote. Thank you so much, Kami!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your blog..always inspires me:-)..
    the quote is wonderful, and it's from Hand of the Cause of God George Townshend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rosa,

    Please can you give the exact reference? Just curious, because my friend said she read it in Star of the West (which I know is not authorative) and it had been attributed to 'Abdu'l-Baha. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told it was from Star of the West but had not read it there myself (it came from my father-in-law, no less, so I believed him :) But two years ago Selvi investigated it and found that it is, indeed, by George Townshend. I'll ask her for the specific reference and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, would appreciate it, because I want to use the quote somewhere and need a proper ref for it.

    Hope you are all well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you ever get a proper reference for this? I'd love to know as I want to send it to my cousin who's expecting a baby and would like to give her the reference. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful quotation! I just searched for it on www.bahairesearch.com and found an excerpt of a letter from the Research Department, stating:

    This is a poem by the Hand of the Cause of God George Townshend, and is found in his wonderful book "The Mission of Bahá'u'lláh."

    Hope this helps you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mathilda! I have received a couple of emails from readers giving references for the quote. I do have a copy of that book, but have not managed to find it among the hundreds that we own!! I will get round to it eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails