So Damian had his first week of preschool last week – letter A week! Here is a round up of what we did:
- We started the week by reading the section on letter A in the Baha’i Alphabet Book.
- We used many of the activities listed in Letter A for Apple on Confessions of a Homeschooler. I am focusing more on the hands-on activities and less on the worksheet type activities.
- We did “A is for Allah’u’Abha” and posted it up above our school room door.
- We made small framed photographs of ‘Abdu’l-Baha. Damian asked to put his photograph over his bed so that ‘Abdu’l-Baha could watch over him while he slept. :)
- We used letter “a” from the sandpaper letters I made for the boys.
- Damian watched the new Leap Frog DVD The Amazing Alphabet Amusement Park.
- We put up Ayyam-i-ha decorations this week (after all “A” is for Ayyam-i-ha, why not tie it into the school week too!).
- We made “A” and “a” out of playdoh, and also with our bodies (e.g. for “A” I was one side, Rylan the other, and Damian the middle line). I have found with boys movement is an important part of learning.
- We ended the week with the ceremonial reading of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and I lifted Damian up so he could stick his big “A” and little “a” onto our letter tree.