Monday, June 7, 2010

Learning About Africa Part 1: the reminiscing

We have begun to learn about the different continents as a general introduction to world geography, before moving onto specific countries, and we started with Africa. We have been having fun with the African theme for the past couple of weeks now. In another post I will share with you what we have done, but first a little reminiscing...see although I was born and spent my first 6 years in the US, I grew up in and did all my schooling in Southern Africa (well, except for 2 years in middle school which I did in Israel, and my masters degree, which I completed in Switzerland...but those are altogether different stories). So, I thought it would be fun to start this section out by taking a little walk down memory lane with Rylan, so he could see what our life was like in Africa. My husband also grew up Southern Africa, and we spent the first five years of our married life there before moving to Israel.

Rylan loved looking at all the pictures, especially since my husband and I spent a great deal of time in animal reserves, and Rylan loves the animals! I thought it would be fun to share some of his favorite photos with you. See the mama and baby giraffees behind me? We were walking inside a private reserve owned by the company my husband worked for. It was just a 5 minute drive from our home!
Playing with lion cubs - this was in another private reserve about 20 minutes from our home. In the picture below, one of the lion cubs jumped up on Ramtin's back and started licking the back of his neck, which was red for two days afterwards, their tongues are like rough sandpaper!
Me holding little 6 week old Lucky, a lion cub who had been rejected by his mother because he was the runt of the litter. He was raised by people until old enough to be returned to the wild. We got to watch a lot of his growing up. We often used to go have a Sunday brunch at this reserve, and he would sit under the table at our feet while we ate, and let me tell you, not a single time did we return home without Ramtin missing a shoe lace! Lucky used to love chewing on those shoe laces. :)
Rylan thought this one was really funny...not so much at the time...a bull elephant charging our car!
We are not the only ones who have been in African animal reserves, however, little Rylan has gone on his own safari. When we has two and half we went back for a visit, and made sure to take him to Kruger National Park for a week. He loved seeing the animals up close in the wild. This baboon jumped on the back of our car, and Rylan put his hand on the glass, and the baboon put his hand against Rylan's through the glass (I enjoyed that moment and forgot the camera, this shot was just before that happened).
Thank you for walking down memory lane with us!

4 comments:

  1. oh that's so nice for sharing ...
    am not that far too ... where were u exactly in SA?
    never been there so far :(
    love
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on the East Coast, around the Durban area. Then Ramtin and I moved to Swaziland shortly after we got married and lived there for just under 5 years. I love it there, in fact, if it weren't for the horrid crime, we would probably be living in Cape Town right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. my brother, sister in law and my nephew lived in Cape Town for 3 years and they loved it, but for the same reason as you, they moved to Australia.
    My mom went for a visit there and she loved it too ...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails