Monday, May 3, 2010

Mystery bag with words: storytelling practice

I don't know if this is a "real" Montessori activity, but it occurred to me to take the mystery bag game and turn it into a reading/storytelling activity. Let me just start by saying that Rylan needs no encouragement on the storytelling front! But since he does love it, I thought it would be a fun way to incorporate reading practice with the challenge of trying to make a story out of a few randomly chosen words.

I wrote a bunch of words on little pieces of paper and put them in a bag. Each time he would pull out 5 words, read them to me, then have to tell me a story using those 5 words. I had a lot of words in there, so I am not going to list them all, but a few examples are: dinosaur, afternoon, tomorrow, green, food, little, crocodile, king, etc. He would wrinkle up his nose every time like he couldn't think of how to relate the words, but then would come out with something pretty clever...and some pretty silly too, so we had plenty of giggles with this one. It turned out to be a very fun activity.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails