Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Nurturing virtue

Welcome to my new Wednesday themed post! I have previously written about how character development and learning about virtues is an integral part of our homeschooling (you can also see our review exercise here, where we reflected on our learning over the past year), well, recently I did a little searching online and found that although there is much on learning 1,2,3s and A,B,Cs for young children, and everything else they need to turn into smart people, there is not a whole lot out there about teaching them to be good, virtuous people (and doesn't the world need more of that!). So, I decided that I should start sharing our weekly learning activities here every Wednesday...don't know why I haven't done this before! These posts will include everything we have done over the course of the previous week, such as defining the new virtue, books we read on the subject, songs to sing, craft and activity ideas, as well as downloads for materials such as worksheets, puppet cut outs, games, and more (it will vary depending on the theme of that week).

The virtues to be covered will include: courtesy, caring, generosity, helpfulness, kindness, respect, obedience, trust, unity, friendliness, gentleness, patience, peacefulness, service, truthfulness, and creativity to name but a few.

My children are aged two and five, so the learning activities will be aimed at that age range, though I am sure much of it will be easily adaptable to different age groups.

I will be starting off with the first "Nurturing virtue" post next week Wednesday! Hope to see you there, and invite a friend along too! :)

7 comments:

  1. oooh this is going to be GREAT! looking forward to reading all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I this it is a great idea and I cannot wait read your first post on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, cant wait to get lots and lots of ideas from this! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully excellent idea! I am looking forward to this!
    -Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your support! I am looking forward to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't keep us waiting to know what the ideas are and how we can utilize them too for our little tots. Thanks a ton for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love this ideal. I hope you don't mind but I have a friday roundup on my blog and I included this post. Thanks again for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails