Saturday, January 30, 2010

Book inspired projects

I am sitting here, with my laptop on my lap, in the car, in the garage of our home, while Damian sleeps in his car seat. He fell asleep on the way home and my hubby brought my computer down to the car so I could at least blog while Damian naps. And yes, naps really are that important to me, they make the rest of the day a happy one!

Now on to what I was going to write…a friend commented on my last post, asking me which book started Rylan’s fascination with dinosaurs, and answering it kind of took me down memory lane a little! “Dinosaurumpus!” was the book that started it all.
I innocently took it out of the library, never imagining where it would lead us! We eventually bought the book, and read it many, many times. I had read it a couple of times to Damian, but it is only in the last few weeks that his interest in dinosaurs has blossomed, so after Chelsea’s question, I pulled it out again and read it to him, and he is in love! I think I will be reading it a whole lot, a second time around! :) That’s okay, it is a fun book and I read it so many times with Rylan I started to develop a rhythm and now it is almost like a fun song. Rylan loved this book so much around his second birthday, we even had a Dinosaurumpus birthday party for him.
{I made this out of construction paper and it took up almost the whole wall of the dining room in our then apartment.}
Thinking about the boy’s favourite books, led to “My Big Brother”, only Damian’s favourite book for about 6 months around the age of 12 to 18 months. There were days when he asked me to read this book to him 10 times. Another one I knew off by heart. It was his favourite because he adores his own big brother oh-so-much, so how can a mom resist?
I kept reading it to him and then one day, said to Rylan, “Why don’t we make him his own big brother book”, so we set off to do a photo shoot. Rylan happily helped me re-enact all the images in the book by Valerie Fisher, and after 45 minutes we had all the pics. I bought a special album, and slotted the photos and the words in (which I had typed up and printed out), then Rylan gave it to Damian. It was an instant hit! We did this project probably about 6 months ago, well before I started this blog, but I thought it would be nice to share.
{Our cover - model Rylan}
Hope you all have a blessed weekend! See you on Monday!

5 comments:

  1. that is one amazing banner! you have such awesome ideas, i'm so happy to learn from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I have printed out the dino ABC flashcards and have finished coloring in 8 so far... wow it is going to take a while, but it's pretty relaxing actually. I have a few weeks to finish anyway... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you're so sweet! :) Now that you mention it I also found colouring in those cards very relaxing...I remember saying that exact thing to Ramtin when I was working on them! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Kami and Chelsea too!!
    I would like to say that am happy to learn from you both -- both amazing!!!
    This morning I asked Leah if she likes dinosaur, and she replies "no".
    she is more in barbie things :)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha that is funny Nancy... I'm very much encouraging Zorion to like dolls too but we will see how long it lasts. Right now he likes them just as much as anything else :-) (Honestly I am trying to get him more into animals or dinosaurs rather than cars... I dont mind if he likes cars but I just hope it's not gonna be his FAVORITE as I dont know how much car stuff I can take lol)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails