Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An old classic: the Lite Brite

The other day we were over at my sister’s home, and since she has grandkids (yes, her grandkids are the same age as my kids, I was a late comer in my family!) she has a stash of toys in her house that my boys love investigating while visiting her. This time she pulled out something new for them – a Lite Brite, which she had just picked up from a garage sale.

When I saw it, it brought back a flood of childhood memories! I remember spending hours creating pictures and patterns on this toy. It was an equally huge success with my boys. They laid down on a rug and created together on the Lite Brite for the rest of our visit there. Since it uses small pegs to create an image it is excellent for practicing the pincer grip and fine motor coordination in general. And the reward when you switch off the lights and see your image colorfully glowing in the dark is bound to be a hit with the little ones. Win, win.

My sister had picked up an old style one at a garage sale, which was like the one I used when growing up. Does it look familiar to you?

When I got home that night I did an online search to see if they still made them. Sure enough they do, but they have been updated somewhat.


The newer one has a smaller board than the original one, which is a shame, but it still works nicely. It has a convenient little peg holder built into the board, so the pegs stay with the board all the time. It is also battery operated, so it does not need to be plugged into the wall, like the original ones. We bought one, and the boys have enjoyed many hours of creating on it! Me too! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Charlie LOVES this toy. Cathy told me he played on it for hours the other day! I was thinking of getting one for home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to get one of those! Maybe I will look to see if they have one at Toys R Us when I go this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lite Bright. One of those toys I always wanted, but never got...kinda like the Easy Bake Oven. As soon as my daughter is old enough...I am totally getting an Easy Bake Oven...I mean SHE is totally getting an Easy Bake Oven...she...yeah, that is what I meant...

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails