Saturday, July 31, 2010

Read aloud chapter books

Although Rylan is reading completely by himself (and spends a large portion of every day with his nose in a book), and by this I don’t mean beginner readers, he is reading books about animals, the ocean, and dinosaurs filled with scientific terminology. He amazes me every day. I basically got him started on phonics, and once he discovered the joy of being able to read himself, he took off, I couldn’t stop him, not that I wanted to, but I would have to say beyond the basics he has taught himself read. It has been an amazing process to watch, but I digress…back to reading aloud…he still loves Ramtin and I to read to him too. Thank goodness, because we love reading to our boys. I spend a lot of time reading to both Rylan and Damian at the same time. During that time we opt for picture books that will also appeal to Damian. Rylan often reads to Damian during this time too. But when we have time alone with Rylan we tend to read chapter books to him. dinoWhen he was four we started with The Magic Treehouse series, and he loved them! We have gone through the entire series (barring a few which I skipped because I felt they were on subjects we didn’t need to cover just yet). We also read most of the accompanying study guides to gain further insight into the topics touched on in Jack and Annie’s adventures. 0375802967_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_If you would like to go through this series with your children, you can also download the Magic Treehouse passport, so they can mark off the books and complete various activities as they go on journeys with Jack and Annie. In fact, Tanya at Homeschooling x3 is even going to use the series as a history curriculum for her youngest next year. I am sure in a year or so Rylan will be ready to read the whole series again (this year he and Ramtin already re-read several of them).charlottes-web1Right now we are reading Charlotte’s Web, and when we are finished I was considering starting the Little House on the Prairie series. I have never read these, at least not that I can remember, but I have read many rave reviews about them on various blogs and in several books. I want to expose my boys to the classics, but I was on the fence as to whether these would appeal to Rylan, but after reading this post by Angie I have decided to definitely give them a try.littlehouseWhat read aloud chapter books have you loved reading with your children?

10 comments:

  1. We found My Fathers Dragon to be fun. We also did about 4 books of Narnia at that age. Those are probably the best gender neutral books. I have 6.3 year old and 2.4 year old girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOOOO looking forward to reading my daughter chapter books. What age did you start chapter books in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the book recommendations! I have never heard of My Fathers Dragon, but just the word dragon in the title will get Rylan's attention! :) I always thought Narnia was for an older age group...I will look into them both, thanks again!

    And @Shelley we started right around his 4th birthday, maybe a little before. It's great fun reading chapter books with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is very timely. We are using Peak with Books this year but I want to start reading chapter books to my almost 5 year old. I will definitely be looking into the Magic Treehouse books. I need books that appeal to him but are also ok to read with the 2 year old around. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kami! I've heard great things about My Father's Dragon, which is followed by two more: Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland. I want to try them out, but have to wait for our next trip to the States. If only I had access to a good English library here!!!! Two other chapter books I've heard good things about are Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant and Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater. We've also read Stuart Little by E.B. White, and have just started on the "Little House" books, which Carmel enjoys so far. I remember vivdly my mom reading them to me when I was small and loving them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh - so glad the timing was right for you, and I am sure you will enjoy the Magic Treehouse books, they are exciting and in the guise of an adventure story teach quite a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, thanks for all the book recommendations. I was considering Stuart Little too. I will look into the other ones you mentioned as well. I know it is a bummer for you without a good library, I don't know what I would do without ours. I get on my computer and order whatever I want and they send it to my local library for me to take out. It is an awesome system (and Hawaii's is not as good as Wisconsin's was). Have you guys thought of doing some kind of a fundraiser (maybe children's show) to raise funds to add to the family center library?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaahhhh so jealous! It's ridiculous having to purchase every single children's book. You are really very right about doing something to get new books in the family centre. Thank goodness we have it, but it needs an infusion of new literature, that's for sure! By the way, let me know what you think of the books I mentioned, since I probably won't get a look at them here anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the library is amazing...but hey, you get to eat halumi salad, fresh falafels, shish kebab, and drink hafoch at Gregs...oh how I miss good food! ;) I will definitely let you know how the books are as we go through them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My boys aren't ready for chapter books yet but I recently checked out the Mercy the Pig books by Kate dicamillo. I just can't wait for them to staert the chapter book stage!! And I love Magic Tree house and every kid I've ever introduced to that series seems to love them too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails