Sunday, July 11, 2010

Exploring glass beach

No, you read it correctly…a beach made of glass. The boys and I spent a morning last week exploring a glass beach. Once upon a time this beach was used as a garbage dump for glass bottles and windscreens, but time and tide has turned the glass into smooth shiny pebbles. When you first come up to this beach it looks just like any other…IMG_4108 [800x600]In fact, when we first drove up I actually thought I had gotten my directions mixed up and had turned too soon because it really doesn’t look like much. But get a little closer and this is what you see.IMG_4106 [800x600]It’s not sand you are looking at and walking across, it is glass, all glass. Where the glass “sand” ends, the black volcanic sand begins.IMG_4110 [800x600] Glass is everywhere, even covering the rocks along the beach.IMG_4118 [800x600]IMG_4120 [800x600]Opposite the shoreline are small cliffs, which the boys attempted to climb…IMG_4125 [800x600] Their favorite finds at the end of the morning. Taken home to show Daddy as they share their explorations with him.IMG_4127 [800x600]

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to visit and such great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy, it was beautiful, we love exploring all the beaches on our island!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks for this information. I found something similiar but wasn't sure what it was. First I'd thought it was glass then I looked at it closely and noticed it wasn't. I didn't know what to call it. I'll be searching more info about it. Do you know where to start from???'{Love your blog-I'll be adding it to my blog list.}

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails